Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Refined Sugar Free
Autumn Salad with Pomegranate Dressing
Prep time: 5 min., Sauté time: ~16 min., Total time: ~20 – 30 min.
Makes: 1 large salad for gatherings
- 1 Tbsp. unrefined coconut oil
- 1 Acorn squash, halved, seeded and sliced
- 1 heaping Tbsp. melted/soft candied pecan mixture
- Mixed Greens - half to full bag (depending on how many serving)
- Arugula - half bag (depending on how many serving)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Pomegranate seeds, to taste
- Raw pumpkin seeds, to taste
- Candied pecans, to taste
- Pomegranate dressing, to taste
- Make the candied pecans and reserve 1 Tbsp. of the candy mixture for the acorn squash. This can be made in advance, just soften the mixture prior to using.
- Heat coconut oil in a skillet over medium low heat.
- Lightly brush squash slices with reserved candied pecan mixture. Sauté for ~8 minutes on each side until just softened, brushing on more candied mixture when flipped. Set aside.
- Wash and spin-dry all leafy greens. Combine in a large serving bowl.
- If you haven’t already, make the pomegranate dressing and set aside.
- Toss the salad with some of the avocado, pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, acorn squash, and a small portion of the pomegranate dressing. Gently mix to lightly coat the salad with dressing. Once you have reached the desired amount of dressing, top the salad with the remaining avocado, squash, pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, and candied pecans for a beautiful presentation.
- Serve and enjoy every delicious bite of autumn.
Prep: Candied pecans and dressing can be made a day or two in advance. Squash can also be sautéed a few hours before serving.
Storage: Salad does not hold well once dressed (the leaves get quite soggy the next day). Follow the directions for storing dressing and candied pecans, so that you can make those in advance then dress just before serving.
Let us know what you think of this quintessential holiday salad in the comments section.