Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Refined Sugar Free - Egg Free - Tasty Full
This simple dairy free cream is pure perfection come strawberry season. It's incredibly versatile and the consistency can be adjusted to suit your wants by using more or less coconut milk for a thinner or thicker consistency. Naturally sweetened with honey, strawberries, and coconut milk, you'll find a subtly sweet recipe without overpowering you with a sugary taste. Taste as you go, and adjust the sweetness and/or strawberry flavor to match you liking.
Cashews support bone and heart health, boost your beautiful mood, and add a silky smooth creamy factor, making them a great choice for dairy free creams. I've added Brazil nuts to this recipe, as they're health benefits take the whole ordeal up a notch. Brazil nuts are needed in very small quantities to pack the selenium punch that they're known for. One ounce (6 - 8 nuts) of Brazil nuts can contain up to ten times the Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) of selenium. Selenium is a trace mineral that is essential to our diet and health. It plays important roles in cognitive function, DNA repair, healthy immune systems, and possible cancer prevention.
Full fat coconut milk adds another layer of creaminess to the recipe, while providing a wide array of health benefits. Contrary to popular belief, coconut milk is a heart friendly choice that supports weight loss, lower cholesterol levels, and improved blood pressure.
Enjoy every spoonful of this sweet strawberry cream. Try it in a bowl of gluten free granola, atop your gf waffles, or as a dip during berry season. No matter how you eat it, it's sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Soak time: 4+ hrs., Prep time: 10 min.
Makes: 1 ½ cups (12 oz.)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 6 Brazil nuts, soaked
- 1/4 cup & 2 tsp. full fat coconut milk (from a can)
- 3/4 cup of fresh chopped strawberries, stems removed
- 1 Tbsp. raw honey
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch of sea salt
- After soaking the cashews and Brazil nuts for 4 hrs., in a small bowl of water, drain and rinse well.
- Combine all ingredients in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and creamy, pausing to scrape down the sides of the wall every now and then.
- Taste and adjust by adding more strawberries if that is your preference.
- Chill in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 hour before serving. This allows the mixture to thicken and firm up a bit (the longer the better, I think).
- Serving options: eat with your favorite bowl of granola and berries, use as a sweet dip, eat by the spoonful, dollop onto muffins/cakes/waffles, or pair with a scoop of Rhubarb Compote.
Prep: soak the nuts overnight, while you’re sleeping. This way they’re ready to blend when you wake up in the morning.
Storage: keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you freeze for future use, leave 1” headspace to prevent cracking and stir or re-blend after thawing.
Shopping: save some money by buying cashew pieces (rather than whole cashews) and/or purchasing in bulk.
Mix It Up: try any berry combination in this recipe, based upon what you have or want.
What is your favorite way to enjoy our plant-based Strawberry Cream?
Let us know in the comments below.