Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Refined Sugar Free - Tasty Full
Prep time: 5 min., Cook time: ~ 20 min., Total time: 25 min.
Makes: ~ 1 cup
- 2 heaping cups rhubarb with leaves removed
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. aged balsamic vinegar (the thicker the better)
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- Rinse and chop rhubarb into ½” slices.
- Combine rhubarb, maple syrup, and balsamic vinegar into a saucepan over medium heat until mixture begins to bubble. Reduce heat to medium low and continue to stir until rhubarb softens (~ 8 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in chia seeds. Allow mixture to sit for a minimum of 10 minutes, so that the chia can expand and the mixture thickens.
- Serve warm or cool. My personal favorite is to serve warm over gf waffles with a dollop of Strawberry Cream. I’ve also been known to use the compote mixed into oatmeal or chilled and spread onto toast. Enjoy however you think best!
Prep: compote can be made a day in advance of when you foresee using it. The longer it sits, the more it will thicken and allow flavors to meld.
Storage: keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Let us know what you think in the comments below.