Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Refined Sugar Free
Ever find yourself wanting something crunchy that's swimming in milk? Perhaps a touch of cereal, but not wanting to reach for the old Captain (Crunch, that is)? I experience this from time to time, especially during summer fruit and berry season. I love to have a hint of crunch on a nice smoothie bowl, oatmeal, atop fresh almond milk, sweet cashew cream, or kefir/yogurt.
This nutritious alternative to sugary store bought granola is a versatile mix that provides you with plant-based protein, healthy fats, zinc, manganese, and magnesium. These powerful nutrients not only satiate you, but they also balance your blood sugar while supporting your immune system and cardiovascular health.
This recipe fulfills that crunch factor and leaves room for creativity. If you don't have or don't like some of the ingredients, you can opt to leave them out or swap them with something else. I've added pumpkin puree for an autumn flavor, goji berries for antioxidant punch, cacao nibs for chocolate cravings, or removed oats to make it grain free. Play around with the recipe, make it your own, and be sure to let us know what combinations you enjoy best.
Prep time: 10 min., Cook time: 15-20 min., Total time: ~30 min.
- ½ cup raw pecans
- 1/3 cup raw almonds
- 1/3 cup raw walnuts
- ½ cup raw pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 ½ cup gluten free rolled oats
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 ½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. cardamom
- Pinch of sea salt
- Optional ingredients (add after roasting): dried and unsweetened cherries/raisins, cacao nibs, flax seed, chia seed, hemp hearts, goji berries, etc.
- Preheat oven to 350° F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Pulse pecans, almonds, walnuts, and pumpkin seeds in the food processor to desired consistency.
- Pour contents into a large bowl and stir in oats and sunflower seeds until well mixed.
- Melt coconut oil in a small pan over low heat. Add maple syrup, cinnamon, and cardamom until well combined.
- Remove from heat and pour the oil mixture over the granola mixture. Stir until all ingredients are equally coated.
- Bake for 16 – 20 minutes, stirring contents halfway through. Remove from oven when fragrant and nuts are crunchy. Watch closely to prevent burning. It happens quickly.
- Remove from the oven and gently slide the parchment paper and granola onto a cooling rack. If you leave it in the pan, it's more likely to burn while cooling.
Grain-free option: omit the oats.
Creativity: swap/add ingredients to make it your own!
Shopping: purchase nuts and seeds in raw form from the bulk section to save money and avoid low quality oils or added salt.
Storage: keeps well for a couple of weeks in an airtight container.
Let us know your favorite granola combinations in the comments section below.