Gluten Free - Dairy Free - Refined Sugar Free
Have you ever had a bean dish that just left you feeling heavy or it did not agree with your digestive tract? Well, hopefully this bean and veggie combo hits the sweet spot without any digestive upset. This salad is light, refreshing, and compliments most anything that you'd have at a picnic or summer bbq.
Cannellini beans are loaded with fiber and help maintain healthy, normal blood sugar levels (even lowering in some instances). They are good for heart health, as they lower LDL cholesterol levels and blood pressure. Added bonus, they're a great summer food because they protect against oxidative stress and skin death from UV exposure. Why not have the diet you eat also act as natural skin protection from the sun?
Enjoy this salad over a bed of mixed greens or as a delicious side dish.
White Bean Salad
Prep time: 15 min., Marinate time: 2 hrs.
- 1 can cannellini or butter beans
- ¼ cup red onion, diced finely
- 1 orange bell pepper, chopped
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/3 cup cilantro or Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 ripe avocado, chopped
- Sea salt to taste
- Drain and rinse the beans.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients except the avocado and sea salt. Stir to combine.
- Add the avocado and sea salt. Stir to mix and coat all ingredients evenly with oil mixture.
- Marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 1 - 2 hrs. to let the flavors meld.
Prep: this can be made the morning of the day that you would like to serve the salad. It will have stronger flavors, if that's okay with you. If not, prep and combine all ingredients except the lime, vinegar, and avocado. Do that 1 - 2 hrs. prior to serving.
Storage: the acidity from the lime and vinegar will help keep the avocado green and fresh, so be sure to coat before storing in the refrigerator. This will keep for a couple of days in a sealed container in the refrigerator (it will also become more bold in flavor the longer it sits).
Let us know how you like this salad in the comments section below.